FVU for students with Danish as a second language
FVU – Preparatory Adult Education – consists of FREE courses in Danish and mathematics for adults with Danish as a second language.
FVU is for people who, for example:
- have finished language school and want to improve their Danish reading and writing skills
- are attending language school and would like more lessons in reading and writing, and have good spoken Danish
- have lived in Denmark for many years and would like more lessons in reading and writing
- need mathematics in order to be admitted into a course
- need to improve at reading and writing in order to get a job
- would like to help their children with their homework
- would like to learn or improve at arithmetic and mathematics
You have the option of finishing the course with an exam. If you pass FVU Danish Level 4 and FVU Mathematics Level 2, this is the equivalent of the state school 9th or 10th form school-leaving exam, thereby giving you access to vocational education courses.
If you start FVU at VSK, you will be placed in a class based on your background and existing skills. You can choose to study Danish or Mathematics – or both.
On the FVU Danish course we work on reading and writing skills, including:
- Spelling rules, grammar and vocabulary
- Texts from everyday life – preferably texts that you choose
- Current news from newspapers and TV
On the FVU Mathematics course we work on numeracy, including:
- Figures and mathematical concepts from everyday life
- Assignments involving text, numbers and figures
- Payslips, electricity bills, recipes and online banking
Time and place
You have the option of 12, 16 or 20 Danish lessons and 4 maths lessons a week. Lessons take place at our Glostrup branch. A course lasts 8 weeks. You can take several courses, if you need to. We start a new class every fortnight.
Before you begin, you have to attend a screening, where we discover what class you should start in.
You can be referred to the course by your caseworker, if you are unemployed and have a job plan.